Library Media Center
Karen Pakula, Library Media Specialist
The mission of the McAlister Learning Commons is to prepare students for life-long learning, informed decision-making, a love of reading, and the use of information technologies.
Welcome to the McAlister Learning Commons!
The library media specialist collaborates and co-teaches with curriculum specialists and classroom teachers to enhance the learning of all students. Student opportunities include working in small groups, collaborating on research or makerspace projects, coding robots, discussing literature or reading independently. In order to empower student voice and ensure that learning is a student driven process, the library is set up to support different learning styles.
Each classroom visits the library weekly for book exchange. In addition, students are welcome to visit or work in the library anytime with their teacher’s permission.
- Online catalog: https://destiny.suffield.org
- AASL standards: https://standards.aasl.org
- ISTE standards: https://www.iste.org/standards
- Encyclopedia Britannica: https://school.eb.com
- CT State Library: https://researchitct.org
- Exploratorium - https://www.exploratorium.edu/explore
- Khan Academy: https://learn.khanacademy.org/khan-academy-kids
- National Geographic Kids: https://kids.nationalgeographic.com
- Smithsonian for Kids https://www.si.edu/kids
- Smithsonian Public Domain Images - https://library.si.edu/image-gallery
- Storyline Online: https://www.storylineonline.net
- Type to Learn: https://www.typetolearn.com/login/index.php
- The 50 Best Books for 9- and 10-Year-Olds
- Wide Open School
The Nutmeg Book Award encourages children to read quality literature and to annually choose their favorite from a list of ten nominated titles.
Nutmeg Book Award Intermediate nominated titles and past award winners: https://www.nutmegaward.org/intermediate-4-6
We are always looking for volunteers in the Learning Commons. Volunteers assist with book exchange, helping students find books, shelving, organizing and helping with the Makerspace, and various projects. Please contact Mrs. Pakula if you are interested.
If you have a skill you would like to share with students, please let us know!
Please support our makerspace by donating items on this list.